We host and promote family-friendly activities throughout the year to celebrate the men and women of the United States Coast Guard serving in the South Jersey region. In addition to the two anchor events of the annual Coast Guard Community Week, the Coast Guard Ball held on the last Saturday in April and the Coast Guard Community Festival held on the first Saturday in May, we have had held events during the Coast Guard Community Week which enhance the connection of local businesses and tourism across the Coast Guard Community. These activities have included:
- Art show for local artists with a Coast Guard or nautical theme at the Mad Batter Restaurant in Cape May
- “Salute to the Coast Guard” at the Mudhen Brewing Company in Wildwood with the release of a Coast Guard themed beer
- “U.S. Coast Guard – Heroes on Land and Sea” Youth Art show for local students displayed at the NJ Audubon Nature Center Cape May
- “Always Ready: Always Here” Coast Guard exhibition at the Museum of Cape May County in Cape May Court House, NJ
- Open house at the U.S. Life Saving Station #30 in Ocean City
We have also participated in local fundraisers, whether it be a Fins Sunday Social in the winter or a Cape May Harbor Community Picnic in the summer, which brings together Coast Guard members and the community. These family-friendly events provide an opportunity to get together in the community and support the programs of the foundation at the same time. We held our first Sunset Cruise for a Cause in the Fall of 2019 to experience one of Cape May’s beautiful sunsets from aboard a 100 ft super ship in the Cape May Harbor.
We also promote the USCG Training Center Cape May’s Sunset Parades held during the summer. These moving ceremonies consist of the Coast Guard recruit battalion in marching formation, the Recruit Band, and precision Drill Team, and are underscored by majestic ceremonial elements such as cannon fire and presentation of the colors. These events are free and open to the public.